We had over 30 attendees for the Friends of Dartmouth Rowing annual spring meeting held on March 7, 2012. Thanks to Mike Heitner ’60 for hosting the meeting in New York City and to Kurt Somerville ’79 for hosting the satellite meeting in Boston. Highlights included:
Attendance at the evening cocktail hour was even better, drawing many Friends members who were unable to leave the office mid-day (or travel to NYC or Boston). Contact the webmaster for a copy of the minutes.
- Athletic Director Harry Sheehy (who pulls a 10,000 meter erg most afternoons) providing an overview of the Athletic Department’s efforts on campus (and explaining why the weight room is full of chocolate milk),
- each of the coaches describing the fruits of hard winter training (lots of PRs at the Crash-D erg event),
- Treasurer David Plekenpol ’82 detailing general improvement in financial support provided by the FDR membership,
- Syd Williams ’89 reporting on the Ever Green Boat Club’s expanding activities, and
- President Andre Hunter ’83 describing a new giving challenge (the Stewards Challenge) which will generously provide a three-to-one match for giving by the fifth year reunion class and a two-to-one match for giving by the twentieth year reunion class.
Remember to get out to cheer for the crews this spring, keep tabs on www.DartmouthRowing.org for regular updates, check out www.EverGreenBoatClub.com to get involved with alumni rowing (and other sports), and mark your calendar for the 2012 Gardner Cup celebration and annual fall meeting in Hanover on September 29th.